Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Not for me

So a friend recently posted about why she is choosing to homeschool and I wanted to respond here, just to get my thoughts out. It was a great post with good points brought up as to why homeschooling could be better for some people. First let it be said that I seriously considered doing it. I tried to do my own preschool for Sweetcakes last year but I did not do well at all. At first I was excited about the idea and looked up projects, crafts, etc. I printed stuff with great visions of my own little school dancing in my head.

But reality hit. It was just not for me. I had no motivation to keep it up. I still did crafts and teaching moments with my kids, don't get me wrong, but to follow some kind of curriculum? Nah. Now she is in a real preschool that is just amazing with the most fabulous teacher. I can see that there's no way I could provide that kind of environment and opportunity for her. My friend brought up the point that parents are excited to see summer break come to an end, complain that vacations are too long etc and are looking forward to leaving their child in someone else's care for 8 hours a day. While that is a valid point, I feel that if a school/teacher is well researched, observed, and chosen, the 8 hours a day spent away from the parent is more productive/educational/stimulating than the 8 hours with a parent who doesn't have the same capabilities.

That's all really. If it ever came down to a necessity that my child(ren) needed to be homeschooled, I would definitely do it for them. I don't have concerns with socialization, my abilities to impart knowledge, etc. I did enough research on the subject to know that homeschooled kids are provided with many opportunities for socialization and other resources. It's just not for me. And someday if you find me doing it, feel free to remind me about this post and I'll gladly eat my words!

3 comments:

Jenna said...

Hear, hear! Audrey thoroughly thrives in and enjoys her preschool. I think also that being a work-at-home mom makes it extra hard to dedicate time to a strict curriculum.

Amberly said...

LOVE this post! I couldn't agree more!

Katie said...

I agree. I also think it is important for children to have authority figures besides just the parents. Prepares them for the life of college and jobs.