Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I love shrinking

Progress so far: Down a total of 9-10lbs, lost 3 inches around my belly and 1 inch around my hips.  I am wearing the next size down in jeans.

Now that I finally am seeing success in the weight loss department I am reminded how exciting it is to see your body shrink. I am in week 4 of the six week plan which is vegetables (1lb raw, 1lb cooked per day), fruit (unlimited), whole grains (limited), legumes, nuts and seeds. It was hard-ish until I got past the first two weeks. It always takes 2 weeks to get over the sugar cravings. Now I have no desire whatsoever for junk food. I do have occasional fleeting moments of longing when I am in close proximity to junk (like if I'm giving m&ms to the potty-trainee or cutting the crust off a grilled cheese sandwich for the kiddos) but they are short and my desire to eat healthy is way stronger. I LOVE it.

It's been interesting, eating mostly vegetables and fruit all day. For one thing, I am drinking a ton more water. I drink about a gallon a day now to keep up my milk supply. I think it's because my body used to send hunger signals when the thirst signals weren't being acknowledged so it would at least get SOME moisture from the food. I am eating so many less calories now that my body needs real water instead of gleaning moisture from other sources. I have recognized the difference between real hunger and boredom snacking urges. It helps if I eat then get out of the kitchen. If I'm hanging around the kitchen I just feel like eating when I'm not truly hungry.

Another thing I've noticed and enjoyed is the lack of guilt that normally accompanies eating. A typical day of eating used to involve LOTS of guilt over eating too much sugar, too much food in general, not eating enough vegetables, etc. Now I blissfully sail through each day knowing that I'm putting awesome nutrition into my body and I feel guilt free. Such a relief!

Are you wondering what I eat each day? Well I'll tell ya.

Breakfast: a bowl of steel-cut oats with a packet of stevia, generous sprinkling of cinnamon, bit of coconut milk, half a banana, and a Tb of ground flaxseed. Delicious!

Morning snack: some fruit. An apple, box of raisins, some grapes, tc.

Lunch: a salad and fruit.

Afternoon snack: carrots with hummus or sugar snap peas. Sometimes I'll eat leftover cooked veggies from the night before.

Dinner: beans of some sort or a plate full of veggies. A salad, broccoli, peas, raw red pepper, beets, etc.

Bedtime snack: snap peas or fruit or raisins.

And I'm totally not hungry. Can you believe it? I LOVE this plan and I feel so free. I love not having to purchase, prepare, cook, and eat meat. I already never use red meat (it just grosses me out) but now I don't have to worry about chicken and turkey, ham, etc. I don't miss it at all. Hubs is ok with this type of eating, and I usually serve some yummy thing for him and the kids along with all the veggies.

Speaking of the kids, now that we have such an abundance of fruit and veggies available and they always see me eating them, they are more likely to choose those kinds of snacks themselves. Snacks are carrot sticks, apple slices, raisins, celery and pb, grapes, watermelon, etc. Yes they still eat processed food but they are eating a lot more natural stuff. And get this: they never ask for candy anymore! They used to always ask for a piece at least once a day. It was getting on my nerves but now we don't worry about it anymore. I gave m&ms to Honeybuns here and there when she used the toilet but she quit asking so I stopped offering. The other night I made waffles per Sweetcakes' request. I made myself a salad and had bowls of broccoli and peas on the table for when I emptied my plate of the salad. The kids each took a few bites of waffle then asked for broccoli and peas and gobbled them up! I was astonished but pleased. :-)

Here's to a heart healthy future for our family!

No comments: